Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Winter snapshots


It's been a cozy winter this year, thanks to snow, ice, and the awesomeness of fuzzy pajamas. There have been many weekends at home.

When the weather is good, it's time to get outside. Walk until something interesting appears or rent a car and use Google to explore.




When the weather is bad, we often stay in and work on projects.


One project was to take every single movable thing out of the kitchen, dump it on the floor, and sort through it all. Kind of like Marie Kondo's idea, except it was more to take inventory than develop a magical relationship with stuff. Turns out our kitchen is composed of 38% hand-me-down appliances and 57% spices and tea. There's only about 5% of everything else.


I don't know if it was from that project or not, but afterwards we started eating a lot healthier.


Another time, we consolidated everything into the main room to make the apartment into a studio with office space. It worked really well. Now, I actually have a place to "go to work" instead of sitting on the floor to write lessons.


Speaking of work- a real green screen! Have you ever seen one? There was a work event here, and it was the first time I'd ever seen one in real life. Very... underwhelming, haha.


Lately, Portland has been having a lot of political events. The ones that make it into the news involve tear gas and masked protesters.


The other weekend, 70,000 - 100,000 people participated in the rainy (and much calmer) Women's March.


A few other random pictures from my phone-

Yum!

What kinds of pictures are you taking this month?


3 comments:

  1. You're cat is so stinkin' adorable! I love how he was looking over all the kitchen items!
    Also, I love your Russian handwriting. I need to learn how to write in cursive. I can only do print and it takes forever to write stuff (I only write in cursive in English).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should trade skills, Jasilyn- I have totally forgotten how to write cursive in English :p So much for all the third grade teachers telling us it was a skill we would desperately need as adults! I want to have more elegant handwriting in Russian... there's got to be some good resources online?

      It took several years to start writing in cursive- before that I would always print- but having penpals helped. Maybe you could find one living outside of Ufa? Then you can practice your cursive while answering over and over why you don't have babies already. (At least, that's what my penpals would demand to know back when I was, like, only 23 years old.)

      Delete
    2. My Russian tutor actually gave me some resources for writing in Russian cursive. She was actually surprised I wanted to, but since I write in English cursive it's just so much quicker for me. I mean, Russian can't be THAT hard to learn.

      I love the question, "When are you having babies?" Luckily, I've never had that said to me but Anton said his mom asked when she was going to have grandchildren when we first started dating....

      Delete